Liepaja is the first city which flashing lights can be seen by European seamen. It's also the third biggest city in Latvia.
Liepaja is the third largest city of Latvia. It lies in between the lake and the sea . People live there for more than 750 years. The village of Liva at the Liva river as the inhabited place was mentioned in the history for the first time in the year 1253. It is more likely, that the name has originated from the Livonian name liiv, which means the sand. The Germanic name of the place Libawe came later, which developed later into the present Latvian name – Liepaja. The city rights Liepaja gained on March 18, 1625. The heritage of Swedish kings and German barons, Russian tsars and Finnish merchants can be found in Liepaja. For some period of time Liepaja has been even the capital of Latvia. Liepaja attracts with its seaside and port, festivals and taverns, with its symphonic orchestra, organs and people.
Liepāja regional tourism information office Rožu laukums 5/6, Liepāja, LV3401 Phone: +371 3480808 Fax: +371 3480807